Friday 30 January 2009

Banks: Not As Small As I Claimed


When the Internet works, it really works. Yesterday I posted a graphic apparently showing the lost in value of bank shares, bank by bank. I'd found it on another blog I'd randomly stumbled across, but it seemed to be originally produced by JP Morgan using Bloomberg data.

I wasn't alone in finding it a powerful graphic and another blogger, one that I regularly read, also posted it. But he - or someone he knows called David Kaplan - noticed that the person producing the original graphic had made a mistake, the net effect being to over-emphasis the visual effect of the shrinkage in the value of the bank shares. So here's the corrected version.

Mind you, if JP Morgan can't even properly represent how much they've shrunk by it does sort of give a clue to why they might have shrunk in the first place, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment